With a population of 2,300 Lower Loughor – represented by Labour Party councillor Christine Richards – it is the third smallest ward population in Swansea but 10th most densely populated.
Approximately nine kms north-west of the city centre its neighbouring wards are Upper Loughor and Gowerton.
The settlement of Lower Loughor can be traced back to Swansea’s early coal mining industry, with mines and a nearby iron foundry dating back to the early 18th century and the St. David’s tinplate works in the late 19th century.
The construction of the permanent bridge across the estuary in 1923 made Loughor a focal point, linking Swansea to Llanelli.
This encouraged further expansion of the settlement. Some of the original worker houses remain in the area close to the estuary, but more modern development has taken place up from the river, including a substantial area of post-War local authority housing, blocks of sheltered accommodation, a 1970s housing estate and more recently built developments.