Swansea Labour are delighted the city’s Wales Airshow is expected to welcome record crowds of more than 250,000 people.
Those thousands will to gather on Swansea’s promenade and waterfront for the action-packed weekend of June 30 and July 1.
This year’s show takes on extra significance celebrating both the RAF’s 100th anniversary and the Army commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of World War One.
The RAF will be bringing in extra displays, personnel and equipment and a comprehensive range of air displays which includes the world famous Red Arrows, The Battle of Britain Memorial Flights the Typhoon and a host of other exciting displays.
The Airshow has grown in popularity from 75,000 visitors in 2009 to an audience of 250,000 last year and even more people are expected this year.
Labour councillor Robert Francis-Davies, the Council’s Cabinet Member for Investment, Regeneration and Tourism, said Swansea is braced for its biggest-ever show.
To cater for the increase in displays and visitors a section of Oystermouth Road will be closed for the weekend to create a visitor area where families can roam safely without the risk of nearby traffic.
Cllr Francis-Davies said: “The Airshow is such a popular event we’ve out-grown the space available on the promenade.
“We need to create extra space for the bigger RAF presence and for visitors by utilising Oystermouth Road, but we can only do that safely by closing it to traffic along a short section.
“This means we can also utilise that extra space for more stands and exhibitions to make the Airshow even bigger and better.”
Oystermouth Road will be closed in both directions from the Civic Centre to Sketty Lane from 10am on Friday June 29 to 6am on Monday, July 2. The road will however re-open west-bound only between 3pm and 7pm on Friday, June 29 with traffic travelling west but on the east bound carriage whilst trade stands are set up on the westbound carriageway.
Full details about the event, road closures and other information is available at walesairshow.co.uk